An essential oil diffuser is also known as an aromatherapy diffuser. It disperses essential oils into the air and fills the area with a natural fragrance. Oils such as chamomile, lavender, and clary sage in a diffuser can give you a much-needed break from the stress of the day and help you sleep.
We all want our house to smell like our favorite essence. It feels amazing when you enter your house after a full day’s work and your house smells like flowers and fresh fragrances. You need a diffuser and a blend of essential oils for that purpose.
Diffusers are very costly and take a lot of space. So in this DIY, we will tell you how to make a simple diffuser at home using some special ingredients. You, don’t need expensive ingredients to make this diffuser, It is a diffuser close to nature.
What are the Ingredients used in making this reed diffuser?
- Dark-colored glass bottle.
- 10-15 reeds having small channels.
- 30 Drops of Essential oils of your choice.
- Sweet Almond Carrier oil half cup.
- Vodka or rubbing alcohol 1 tablespoon.
How to make it?
Making this diffuser is a lot easier. Just follow these simple steps.
Step1: Take a clean dark colored glass bottle and fill it half with about half cup of Sweet Almond Carrier Oil.
Step2: Now you can add 30 drops of your favourite essential oil to the mixture. Lemon Essential oil, Peppermint Essential Oil or any of your best desired combination of essential oils about 30 drops.
Step3: Add 1 tablespoon of vodka or rubbing alcohol (90%alcohol by volume) to the mixture.
Step4: Spin the mixture thoroughly and now add 8-10 reeds inside the bottle. Few inches of the reeds should pop out from the bottle. You can resize them by trimming.
Step5: Leave the reeds inside for 0ne day. And flip them over the next day. As the essence climbs up the reeds they get dark-colored. Now the diffuser is ready to spread its magical aroma all-around your place.
How this essential oil diffuser works?
This essential oil diffuser uses reeds so the essence of the essential oil climbs up the reeds, and the fragrance comes out of the glass bottle the ingredients like Sweet Almond oil helps to preserve the essence of the essential oil for a longer time, and the carrying agents help in thinning the oil so it climbs up the reed easily and spread the aroma all around the place where it is kept.
Some FAQ’s regarding the ingredients used to make this diffuser.
- Why is a Dark-colored glass bottle used?: Essential oils do not go well with the plastic container. Pure steam distilled essential oils are to be kept in a dark-colored glass vial or bottle so as to preserve the essence and purity of the oil for a longer time. In this homemade diffuser glass bottle is used so that the perfume of the essential oil lasts longer.
- Why only Sweet Almond Carrier Oil is suitable?: Carrier oil is used in this diffuser because carrier oil is needed as a wick to be carried up the reed. Some people say that can water be used instead of carrier oil, the answer is no as water is useless because it evaporates easily so the diffuser will not work and also because the water and oil don’t exactly jive.
Sweet Almond oil is the most suitable oil to be used in this diffuser as it light and has a nutty not so strong aroma. Sweet almond oil helps the essential oil to climb up the reed and spread the fragrance properly.
- Why are reeds preferred instead on bamboo sticks?: Reeds have small channels that help in moving the oils up, some people say that bamboo skewers can also be used but no as they are pretty much solid so the oil will not be able to move up.
- What is the role of Carrying agent Vodka/Rubbing alcohol?: A carrying agent is used to ease the oil up the reed and to thin the oil out. Colorless vodka is suitable or you can also use rubbing alcohol with 90% alcohol concentration.
Precautions you should take care
- If you are pregnant than you should avoid using this DIY.
- If you have your lovely pet in your house you should take safety measure before using this homemade essential oil diffuser.
Do not forget to try this DIY and make a diffuser for your lovely house and also share your experience with us.