Hello friends, glad to have you again. I guess you reached here in search of knowledge of plant extracts that gained momentum over the years.
Today we are going to have glimpse on essential oils that make your home a better place.
Essential oils are of huge importance when applied in a proper way. I just thought of enlisting some essential oils that you can have in your home to magnify the ambience. Let us get started with what essential oils are?
What are Essential oils?
Essential oils are plant extracts and are extracted from different plant parts like stem, leaves, bud, fruit peel and seed using methods of distillation or mechanical methods like cold-pressing. The oil retains the plant’s fragrance and flavor which is known as “essence.” The specialty of the oils lies in their volatile nature because of which they quickly spread their fragrance.
The color of the essential oil varies from colorless to yellowish brown and in few exception pinkish hue of liquid. In general essential oils are known for their note like base, top and middle note. These liquids are highly concentrated in nature and so are not advisable for direct use on skin.
You must have understood that we have to use carrier oils for their dilution.
Dilution of essential oil is basically done to dilute the concentration of liquid. It does not affect the properties of the oil.
Essential oils are extensively used in the perfumery mixture because of the fabulous aroma. This is also the reason why they are highly preferred in home to beautify the atmosphere. Every essential oil has its peculiar fragrance that makes it stand out from other oils.
We will now have look on some of the essential oils that you should incorporate in your home.
Why Essential oils for Home?
Did it ever happen with you that you visited a friend’s home and got completely mesmerized with their choice of smell?
Anyway it happened with me so I can actually say a nice scented home is a treat you can give yourself every day. The way essential oil connects with you is phenomenal. They travel from olfactory nerves directly to the brain and act on amygdala which is the emotional centre of the brain.
You must know that food and preservation go hand in hand. Though there are various physical preservation methods like refrigeration and chemical preservatives like sodium benzoate, but the negative opinion of consumers shifting their approach towards natural preservation techniques. Essential oils hold the ability to be used as natural preservatives. Eucalyptus oil is shown to have such activity. Research is still going on to support the claims.
Essential oils work as an effective sanitizing agent. You can use mix of essential oils to create your blend and keep your home safe and clean. The essential oils have antiseptic, insecticidal, and antimicrobial activity that provide it with such functions.
Essential oils are quite good for skin and hair health. But make sure to dilute it and have patch test before use. So if you have skin care specific essential oil at home, you can use it with your cream and get a glowing skin.
After pointing so many reasons to incorporate essential oils at home, I think I should quickly list essential oils so you can make up your mind for next purchase.
Essential oils for Home:
Essential oils seem like bit of an investment at first but trust me little goes a long way. Some essential oils are listed below:
- Lemon oil: Lemon essential oil is versatile oil from citrus family which is pretty famous for its citrusy aroma. It is filled with anti-viral and antibacterial properties. The diffusion of lemon oil helps with depression and fights exhaustion. You can sanitize your kitchen and use for lemon oil for floor cleaning.
- Lavender oil: Purple color lavender flowers is everyone favorite and you will fall for its essential oil too. The herbal floral odor of oil creates magic and helps build calm and soothing aura. Inhaling lavender essential oil is associated with treating insomnia, fatigue and stress. You should also know lavender oil is great for burns too and it soothes irritated skin.
- Rosemary oil: Rosemary oil can be a good addition to dish soap or laundry detergent. Rosemary extracts also has application in preservation of food. It has in it antibacterial and antiseptic properties. You can always go for blending of oil with other essential oils to amplify the positive response.
- Eucalyptus oil: Eucalyptus oil is a natural germicide which makes it perfect to be used in homemade cleaning recipes. It is wonderful choice of oil in case of respiratory issues. It can help to overcome cold. To get rid of bad odor in load of laundry, you can use eucalyptus oil to get good smelling clothes.
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil has excellent cooling properties, thanks to the Menthol present in it. It also helps to get rid of spiders, ants and other bugs at home. Then marvelous aroma of peppermint will leave your smelling fresh and clean. It is also beneficial against respiratory ailments and often blended with eucalyptus oil to create blend that treats your running nose.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil is superb addition in your essential oil list. Firstly it is awesome choice for skin care especially acne. Secondly it has germ destroying and purifying properties which can be used in your homemade cleaners.
Note: Please note that essential oil should always be diluted first and go for patch test to avoid any allergic reactions. Though most of the essential oils are safe but it should be used and applied on recommendation of any doctor or aromatherapist.
I hope the article was helpful to you. Feel free to comment and share your views.