Hey everyone. I am welcoming you all again and today we are going into the world of digestion. The article is pretty simple but it is imperative to know relationship between essential oil and digestion obviously I will explain you why.
It happens with us that we hear the term essential oil and simply relate it with something with magical aroma and fragrance. But limiting essential oil only till fragrance will be injustice. They hold a lot more capacity than that, this is also one reason that they have been used as medicine for thousands of years. Let us get started with our today’s knowledgeable article.
|Digestive system in short|
Importance of gut health
How essential oils are helpful?
Digestion specific essential oils
Digestive system in short:
I am considering that you all have some information on essential oils so instead of repeating it again; I am dedicating first two segments of article in explaining digestive system and its importance. I hope you all understand how important it is to have a healthy digestive system.
In a very layman language, digestive system comprises of organs that work together to convert food into energy and basic nutrients which eventually helps to feed the entire body. The food we intake passes through a long tube inside the body known as alimentary canal or gastrointestinal tract (GI tract). The GI tract is a series of hollow organs joined in a long twisting tube from the mouth to the anus.
The crucial process of digestion begins in our mouth with our salivary glands and continues into the gut and food is broken down in the stomach and gets metabolized in the intestines. The other organ that assists in process of digestion includes liver, pancreas and gallbladder.
Now when we know general outline of digestive system, another significant part comprehends its importance.
Importance of gut health:
We all have been in that awkward and uncomfortable situation where our digestive issues made us understand how important it is to keep it in good active condition. The very first importance is body’s necessity of nutrients and energy that comes from digestion of food. These nutrients are essential for normal working and staying healthy.
Another importance focuses on the link between digestive system health and your brain. This forms a two way bridge where the health of one affects the other. For instance a disturbed intestine can send signals to the brain just as a disturbed brain send signals to the gut. The gut makes up the 70% of entire immune system so to keep immune system actively working it is important to have systemic gut health.
What we all know and believe that digestion process is vital for metabolism but we should not forget that digestive tract is crucial for our immune system too. The gastrointestinal or digestive system plays central role in immune system homeostasis.
Hippocrates said: “All disease begins in the gut” which is true and that is why in past few years people started taking good care of their digestive health and are aware about the adverse affects of not doing so. Safe food, healthy diet, physical exercise and good sleep are some factors that help in maintaining digestive health.
How essential oils are helpful:
I am pretty sure you all were waiting for me to get started with this segment. Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts that are derived from plant parts using process of distillation. Essential oils have history that marks their use in alternative medicine for thousands of years.
The dependency of people on plant for medicinal properties to help and heal the body paved the path for their usage in maintaining healthy gut. Our gut has plenty of microbes in it known as intestinal flora and to your surprise not all bacteria are bad. Our gut has some good bacteria that actually helps to create healthy gut environment and aids in process of digestion. Consumption of antibiotics kills all bacteria of gut including beneficial ones which is not we want. Essential oils helps in maintaining gut health by various indirect ways and also protect beneficial microbes from degradation.
Essential oils have many qualities like anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic which can be a great way to naturally prevent and treat digestive issues like nausea, constipation, bloating and spasming. Essential oil often functions as symptoms relief, prevention, protection and healing.
We know that brain health and gut health is linked to each other. So a person’s stomach distress can be the leading cause of anxiety, depression or stress and it also affects the productivity of the person. This concludes that essential oil can support your digestive system on multiple levels.
Now I am moving onto our second last segment that will put into light some essential oils that act as digestive health savior.
Digestion specific essential oils:
Well now when you know about digestive system, its importance and the fine link between essential oils and digestion. I should introduce you with some very famous and beneficial digestion specific essential oils.
- Ginger Essential Oil: Ginger is universal known spice and can be easily found in every kitchen. The oils extracted from ginger roots have digestive stimulatory effects. It eases the digestive conditions of nausea and constipation. It has been an effective remedy from centuries. Overall it helps to balance digestive system that also increases gastric activity.
- Peppermint Essential Oil: We all love the fragrance of peppermint oil, is not it? The oil has in it multiple benefits too including an important therapeutic benefit that is antispasmodic benefit that relaxes muscles of the digestive tract. This eases the movement of bowels. The oil is famous for its digestion benefits and also relieves gas pressure. Studies reflect that peppermint oil is helpful in irritable bowel syndrome (IBM) which is an awkward combination of constipation and diarrhea.
- Fennel Essential Oil: Another essential oil in the list is our very favorite fennel oil. Fennel is not something new to us. It’s always been said by our elders to consume fennel seeds after food consumption as it increases metabolism and strengthens gut health. Fennel essential oil is also loaded with antispasmodic property that alleviates symptoms arising from IBS. It also has laxative properties that ease constipation.
- Lemon Essential oil: Lemon has always been an excellent source of Vitamin C and its incorporation in diet is beneficial in multiple ways. It is concentrated oil that contains strong antioxidants which help in improving digestion and fighting inflammation. These all factors contribute in smooth running of digestion process and eradicate constipation.
- Cardamom Essential oil: Thisoil also aids in the process of digestion. It has in it antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties that alleviates cramping and thus sooth stomach aches. The oil also offers stomachic properties that maintain healthy functioning of gastric juices in the stomach.
Disclaimer: Essential oil should always be diluted in the carrier or base oil before application. It is always advisable to have patch test before topical application of oil to avoid any allergic reactions. Always take advice from medical practitioner to avoid any unwanted situation.
A healthy gut brings much more benefits than we can imagine. It contributes to strong immune system, heart health, brain health, improved mood and also effective digestion. Thus it is individual responsibility to take good care of their digestive health.
Essential oils are natural as well as organic approach towards problems of digestive system. The very basic thing is to improve diet, inculcating healthy and balanced diet is significant to achieve maximum benefits. In short, healthy gut is key to wellness.
The views expressed in the article are personal, and results may be different for different audience, and reader is advised to make informed decision based on expert advice and proper consultation. People on medication need to consult there physician and need to take proper consultation, before reaching any conclusion.
I hope you liked the article. Without stretching much, I would like to wrap here. But there are still many things to discuss and disseminate about essential oil and digestion. So stay connected, keep reading and do not forget to comment below your views.